Friday, August 7, 2009

Silence.


Why is it that the words that we speak can never mirror the thoughts we have or echo the rhythm of our hearts?  Writing is a beautiful language but it somehow cannot articulate the intricacies of our emotions.. it always falls short of fulfilling the effect that a tear has, or a laugh, or even a smile.  Why do we feel so connected by language when events tell us that words often tear us apart?  If we sat in the silence and simply watched a person act and react, we would understand the depths of their being to an elevated level without uttering a single word.  Maybe that is what I am missing out on in my relationship with Christ.  I always seem to think that I need to fill the air with a word or a prayer but I never allow myself to just bask in his glory and enjoy the silence.  Perhaps that's my goal for the week.. spending time with Christ and waiting for his emotions to permeate the silence.

We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness.  God is the friend of silence.  See how nature-- trees, flowers, grass-- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.
--Mother Teresa

1 comment: